TEANECK, N.J. — A group of Fairleigh Dickinson University graduate students have a clear message to send: the Hackensack YMCA isn't just a gym.
As part of their community outreach project for Organizational Decision Making, the 10 students have created "Doors of Hope."
They are raising money for female domestic violence victims in partnership with the YMCA, group leader Cinthiya Medina explained.
The idea came from group member Albernil Abreu of Fair Lawn, whose toddler has had success with the Y's early intervention program.
"We chose the YMCA to help women like me," said Abreu, 29.
Group members include:
- Cinthya Medina of Ridgefield Park (group leader)
- Carolina Bordes of Lodi
- Maritza Torres of Maywood
- Mayuri Feijo of Lyndhurst
- Albernil Abreu of Fair Lawn
- Hilda Buitriago of West New York
- Nick Fedaczynsky of Hackensack
- Juan Carlos Castro of Hackensack
- Maribel Fabian of Clifton
- Doris Munoz of Union City
The goal is to raise $5,000 before Dec. 5.