TEANECK, N.J. — Teaneck authorities issued safety tips for Halloween.
- Candy, food and beverages children bring home should be inspected by an adult before consumption;
- Eat factory packaged items only;
- When in doubt, throw it out;
- Be aware of food products that can cause allergies, such as peanuts;
- Make sure your front porch and walkways are well lit for trick-or-treaters;
- Wear reflective or light colored clothing at night;
- Make sure costumes do not obstruct vision;
- Children should be accompanied by a responsible adult;
- Wash hands after going trick-or-treating or attending a party;
- Use flashlights for outdoor evening activities;
- Avoid drinking unpasteurized apple cider;
- Never accept candy or treats from a stranger;
- Face paint should be non-toxic and non-allergenic;
- Make sure pets are away or properly restrained when answering the door;
- Keep lit candles away from children, from flammable items such as drapery or where they can be easily knocked over, such as in a Jack-O-Lantern on the front stoop;
- If you see something unusual or unsafe for the occasion don’t hesitate to contact the authorities (local police, fire or health departments).
Teaneck won't have curfew restrictions either night. CLICK HERE for more safety information.
For poison emergencies call the NJPIES Poison Hotline at: 1-800-222-1222 .
For information on poison, go to the New Jersey Poison Control website HERE .