HACKENSACK, N.J. — Sometimes, the gym just doesn't cut it for fitness trainer and weight-loss specialist Kevin Saenz , who on Tuesday evening found himself sweating it out at the Hackensack High School track.
"Outdoor workouts are more interactive with the natural environment in terms of functional training and using proper biomechanics," said Saenz, 24 of Bergenfield.
"As we know it, we don't move in a sagittal plane all the time like a conventional training program.
"We are meant to move in different planes of motion and use rotational movements."
Here is an example of a workout by Saenz you can do at your local track — or outside in general — using only your body weight, although feel free to bring weights, medicine balls or other equipment for added intensity (any action you take upon the provided information is at your own risk).
- Two laps walking or jogging around the track
CIRCUIT 1 (repeat 4-6 times)
- 10 push ups
- Sprint length of the field (run full out for 15-30 seconds)
- Walking lunges back to starting line
CIRCUIT 2 (repeat 4-6 times)
- Side shuffle or karaoke length of field, sprint back to starting line
- 10 burpees with pushup (Perform a push up and when you stand up, raise hands above your head and repeat).
- 30 second plank (Keeping core tight and belly button pulled in toward your spine).
CIRCUIT 3: (repeat 4-6 times)
- Walk up every other stair on the bleachers with hands above your head
- 15 jumping jacks at the top
- Walk down, perform 10 air squats OR jump squats for added intensity
- 10 skaters
BE SURE TO STRETCH WHEN YOU ARE FINISHED!
- EMAIL: KSAENZ226@LIVE.COM
- INSTAGRAM: @kevin_saenz_
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.